The senior class at the bonfire

Dash For Diabetes

The local Dash for Diabetes is on October 10, 2023, starting at 10am at Leaverton Park in Palestine Illinois.  But it is not the only Dash for Diabetes.

In a world where health concerns are on the rise, diabetes stands out as a major global epidemic. According to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), approximately 463 million people worldwide were living with diabetes in 2019, and this number is expected to reach 700 million by 2045. In the face of this alarming statistic, initiatives like The Dash for Diabetes have emerged as powerful movements to raise awareness, foster community support, and fund research to combat this widespread disease. 

So what is the “Dash for Diabetes?”  The Dash for Diabetes is a global initiative that involves various events such as charity runs, walks, and fundraisers, all aimed at raising awareness about diabetes and its impact on individuals and communities. These events are not only designed to educate people about diabetes but also to encourage a more active and healthier lifestyle.  

Why is it a “dash” for Diabetes? Physical activity plays a vital role in diabetes prevention and management. The Dash for Diabetes promotes a healthier lifestyle by encouraging people to engage in regular exercise. Participants in these events often engage in activities like running, walking, and cycling, which not only contribute to better physical health but also serve as a powerful symbol of the fight against diabetes.

Why is it a race? Diabetes can be a lonely and isolating journey for those who live with it. The Dash for Diabetes provides a sense of community and support for individuals and families affected by diabetes. Through these events, participants connect with others who share their experiences, offering a network of emotional and practical support.