Students in Sports

Alysa Kennedy, Editor

With school starting many students are preparing themselves for their upcoming sports seasons. Being a student athlete isn’t always as easy as some make it seem. The countless hours of conditioning, practices, games, and homework are just a start to what these athletes have to concur during their season. Some of these students have been putting in work all summer long improving their game! Our athletes have been attending camps, practices, and open gyms, now it’s time to show everyone what they can do! I was able to chat with a couple athletes who are participating in the upcoming seasons. 

Student athlete Elliott Meadows has taken up a new sport this year and joined the golf team. While picking up a new sport is not always easy, he has managed to make it a fun and interesting learning experience. Just a few practices in, Elliott had quite the shot when his club snapped and nearly hit a truck! He’s the type of guy that aims left and the ball goes right. 

Freshman student athlete Abby Hyre can be found on the sidelines as an OPH cheerleader this season. Abby had very high hopes for her first year of high school cheer. As the season is almost here, she is starting to worry if the team is game ready. With a few more practices under their belt, I’m sure the team will be as sharp as ever!