My Summer Plans

Studying History for my Future
Tom Bartholomew

As some of you may know, last summer I volunteered at George Rogers Clark National Historical Park, and it was one of the most enjoyable summers I ever had. As someone who wants to work for the National Park Service when I’m schooled enough and old enough, this internship is a good step in the right direction.

I strongly suggest visiting George Rogers Clark National Historical Park. The first place you will want to go into is the visitor center, where you can find models, maps, and the gift shop. You can also request to see the thirty minute documentary, Long Knives, which is about George Rogers Clark in their theater. Children can also become Junior Rangers here. You can also purchase books from here.

Afterwards, I suggest you visit the George Rogers Clark Monument. You have to go to the visitor center to have it unlocked, so make sure to get a look at the metalwork on the outside of the monument depicting Native Americans, Long Knives, and the zodiac! Inside, you’ll see seven murals painted by Ezra Miller and six assistants, a statue made by Hermon MacNeil, a bas-relief carved by Joseph Kiselewski, a laylight done by the General Bronze Corporation, and more metalwork. The outside also has beautiful doric columns.

George Rogers Clark National is located at 401 South Second Street, Vincennes, Indiana. They’re open 9 am-5 pm every day (although the George Rogers Clark Memorial closes at 4:45 pm), and only close on New Year’s Day, Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., Washington’s Birthday, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. There is no fee or entry pass.