VU’s Got Chemistry

On Tuesday, 7 May, the Chemistry I class went on a field trip to Vincennes University hosted by the Science Department. We left at eight in the morning, leaving our things at the high school.

When we first arrived, we were met by Professor Hagemeier-McVay. We then compared the amount stated on the label of various snacks to the actual amount of the various snacks. Percentages got up above an 80% excess!

Afterwards, we had lunch. We were served ham or turkey sandwiches with cheese, grapes, chips, and chocolate chip cookies. We were also supplied with various condiments and water. Some students ate on a balcony. Were soon joined by another high school group.

Next, we mirrored the surface of bottles using silver nitrate. The bottles were provided by Mr. Tim Riley a week earlier in the form of sodas given to the students (root beer and orange crush).

Our final experiment was something most children and parents are well aware of, if not too aware of-making slime. While mixing our slime, we discussed how polymers are used in everyday life, from rubber balls to cotton clothing. We also were able to witness the creation of a polymer in the form of crude nylon. We were shown how when wet it was weak, but if allowed to dry it would become fairly sturdy.

That was not the end of our time at Vincennes University, however. Professor Hagemeier-McVay gave us a tour, showing us the vast majority of the buildings, ranging from the anatomy room to the theater. Afterwards, we left on the bus and went home.

Images provided by Mr. Tim Riley.