Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Hyde

McKenzie Meyers

This week’s teacher spotlight is Mrs. Hyde.

Mackenzie Myers, Contributor

Mrs. Hyde was born in Alabama, but throughout her life she has lived in Italy, Germany, Virginia, The Netherlands, and several places in Illinois.  When she was growing up, her dad worked with company that had a contract with the government, so he worked on military bases overseas. When they moved to Virginia he switched companies and planned to move to Saudi Arabia, which would have meant she was going to go to boarding school in Switzerland, but at the last minute, they sent him to the Netherlands, and that’s where she graduated from high school.

When she was an English major at Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi, she didn’t want to be a teacher. Mrs. Hyde said, “ Everyone thought I wanted to be a teacher because they thought you couldn’t do anything except be a teacher with an English degree. I wanted to prove them wrong.”

So, she interned at an ad agency during the first semester of her senior year, and when they offered her a full time job after she graduated, she accepted.  While there she worked as a copywriter, writing radio commercials, TV commercials, and brochures, among other things.  

When the oldest of the three Hyde children was school age, the family lived in Cairo, Illinois, where the schools had a lot of problems, so they decided to home school their daughter.  Mrs. Hyde enjoyed it so much that she eventually home schooled all three of her children.  When her oldest left for college in 2008, her son enrolled in public high school, her youngest daughter enrolled at New Hebron, and Mrs. Hyde began teaching part time at LTC and tutoring at Palestine High School.  Two years later, she decided to go back and get her high school teaching certification.  After student teaching at Hutsonville High School, she returned to teach full time at Palestine High School six years ago.

Mrs. Hyde now lives in Trimble in the church parsonage that belongs to the church  where her lawyer/pastor husband pastors across the street.  She has lived in Trimble 22 years, by far the longest she has ever lived anywhere.

Mrs. Hyde loves to read, and she also loves to learn. She loves the classics in literature and one of her favorite books is Pride and Prejudice. She has taught for 6 years at Palestine High School and for 4 years at LTC part time. Her classes include English I, II, III. IV, Composition, Journalism and in alternate years, Applied English and Speech. 

Mrs. Hyde loves her job and she said,  “I have the best job in the world. It is a privilege to be involved with students at a point when they are preparing for and making decisions that are going to affect the rest of their lives.”