NO! to Off-Campus

Dannika Fulling, Editor

As the world is opening up again, many are wondering when our doors for off-campus lunch will as well. While lots of students believe this is more convenient, expands more options, and makes things easier, there a lot of concerns we aren’t recognizing as well.

While it can be easier to go down to a local business and grab a bite to eat, given the limited lunch time it causes students to arrive back late for their 5th hour class. Many use the excuse of a longer wait time, which is in no way the establishment’s fault, but it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they arrive at school in time for their next class. A solution some have recommended is to revoke the privilege from the tardy students, but it’s more than just the time that concerns parents and staff.

When students go off campus for lunch, they are no longer in the secure environment of the school. This allows for things like fights, partaking in illegal substances, and other activities that aren’t school appropriate. By keeping students on campus, we’re able to ensure that they are safe and taken care of. When PHS did have an open campus, many didn’t realize that administrators would monitor Main Street to ensure students were okay.

Students are safer when they are in school. We understand the argument of wanting alternative options though. A solution to this problem would be partnering with Pioneer City Meat Market or Home Plate to bring community dining to the school. This could be accomplished by putting in orders in the morning, and having the food delivered during lunchtime.