Oblong Fall Follies

Oblong Fall Follies

Lindsay Ryan, Contributor

Oblong’s Annual Fall Follies is nearly here! On October 27th, 2018, Oblong, home of the Largest Nighttime Parade in Illinois, will be celebrating it’s 53rd anniversary.

Trolley stops will be available downtown and at the north side of the high school for easy transport. All participating bands and their fans are invited to this year’s 23rd Annual Spooktacular BandFest Competition, on behalf of the Oblong Music Boosters. They have hosted more than 14 marching bands for field competition and more than 32 bands for the parade.

There will also be the 9th annual Spooktacular 5K sponsored by the Oblong Children’s Christian Home. The walk/run will begin at the park at 8:00 a.m. on October 27th. People are encouraged to come dressed in costume. To register, visit http://www.oblongchristianhome.org/?page_id=154 they offer many options to register and pay!

In addition to the 5K run/walk, there will be a costume judging contest at 5:30 p.m. at the Main Stage at Range and Main Street. Youth categories include everyone 18 years and younger. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes will be awarded in each category. Costume Categories include: ugliest, prettiest, TV or Movie Character, Cartoon Character, Most Original, and Miscellaneous. The adult category is for everyone 19 and over. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places will be awarded for Most Original, Scariest, and Miscellaneous. For more information, call (618) 592-4134

If you’re feeling hungry, stop by for a pancake supper for a free will donation from 3:00 to 6:45 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Oblong Chamber with various projects throughout the year and help pay expenses for the Fall Follies.

For more information, here is a list of contacts:

2018 Fall Follies Contacts:
Food Vendors, Billy Burke – [email protected]

Little Miss, Shelia Brooks – [email protected]

Pumpkin Bake Off, Dale Davis – 618-592-3122

Flea Market Vendors, Gerald Bilyew, [email protected]

Quilt Show, Dawn Judy – 618-943-2705 – [email protected]

Parade Entry, website – www.theonlyoblong.com